Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sprout for Joy

I recently discovered sprouting. I've always liked sprouts. I remember always searching them out at salad bars as a kid. They add texture and crunch to a salad or sandwich, and they are nearly devoid of calories (8 calories in an entire cup serving). They are also a great way to get some extra vitamins, minerals, and fiber in your diet. I mostly add them to cold dishes, but they can also be a great addition to dishes like meatloaf or sloppy joes to add a little extra nutrition. The most common sprouts are alfalfa, which are my personal favorite. Bean and wheat sprouts are also easy and common. There are tons of possibilities, though, so don't be afraid to try something new once you've gotten comfortable with the basics.

I've been wanting to try sprouting for a long time, but I guess I was afraid of it. I tend to be a bit afraid of new projects. Maybe it will fail miserably. Maybe it will be too hard to keep up. Maybe it will cost too much to be worth it. This ended up being super easy. There are several ways to do it, the most basic of which is with a mason jar with mesh (or old pantyhose) over the top, but I admit I was too chicken to try that one.

A friend of mine introduced me to the Sprout Master Mini. I don't say this to advertise for any particular brand of sprouter. There are lots of sprouters out there, but this is the one I use. It was about $17 at the local health food store and came with one pretty big container each of alfalfa sprouts and bean sprouts. You can also get them at amazon.com or elsewhere online in packs of three or bigger sprouters. It has a divider that can be used to sprout two different types, as shown, or you can remove it and do one bigger sprouting. All you do is put a few teaspoons of seeds in the sprouter and rinse with warm water. The exact amount depends on the type of sprout and the size of your tray. For alfalfa sprouts in the Mini, I use 2 tsp. for a half tray and 4 tsp. for a whole. After rinsing, drain the tray over the sink, put the drip tray on the bottom and the cover on the top, and put in a warm dark place. I use a cabinet. The directions say to rinse and drain the tray twice a day, but I only do it once and it works just fine. After 2-4 days, depending on the conditions and type of sprout, they're ready to eat. Just stick them in the fridge in the covered tray, and they last at least a week. 2 minutes to start them, and 30 seconds a day for a few days. It's so easy, and it's a step in the direction of healthy living with fresh foods!

1 comment: