Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Hearty Oatmeal Pancakes


Pancakes are one of the great American breakfast foods, and for good reason. They're delicious! Combine them with oatmeal and you can't go wrong. Oatmeal is heart-healthy, cholesterol-free, increases satiety (helps you feel full), low in fat and sodium, and high in fiber and minerals. This is a really hearty, inexpensive, and healthy recipe that my family loves!

1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sugar
2 eggs
2 cups milk, preferably skim
2 tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice

Add the vinegar or lemon juice to the milk separately, and let them sit for 3-5 minutes. This creates a healthy buttermilk substitute. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl, and then add the milk mixture and eggs. Mix with a stand or hand mixer. Adjust the thickness of the batter with flour or milk, if desired.

I use an electric griddle set just over 250 degrees to keep them golden brown without ever burning. This recipe makes about 10 large pancakes, which usually turns out to be 3-4 servings.

Serve with syrup (preferably light syrup or sparing amounts), or try serving with fruit and/or yogurt or light margarine and cinnamon sugar. You'll feel full all the way to lunch, and you'll feel great having had a healthy start to your day!

You can even serve these as a quick, healthy dinner with fruit and lean ham steaks.

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to throw away my old wheat flour (it's old and the last time I tried to use it I ended up with brick like bread) and try these. I suspect I'll need to get used to the stronger taste of wheat flour again. They sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what you have, but I find that white wheat has a much milder taste and is lighter than red wheat. I use white wheat for everything!

      Delete
    2. You didn't tell me you were doing a blog. I like it! Are these the pancakes we had at my house? They were sooo good!

      Delete
    3. Thanks! You were in Chile when I started it :-) These are the pancakes we had at your house. I'm glad you liked them. We eat them all the time now!

      Delete