Monday, July 15, 2013

Fun, Family, AND Fitness?!

 

I have a confession. I sat down to write something new and exciting about getting active in fun and creative ways, and found a draft I wrote almost exactly a year ago and never posted. It's quite similar to my current apparently unoriginal idea, though my exercise of choice has changed several times since then. Given the fact that this is a recurring theme in my life, I thought it worth posting now, however outdated the personal details.

Here goes:

I admit it. I gained a bunch of weight over the past several months. Then, miraculously, a good chunk of it just disappeared all in one day. He is cute and cuddly and keeps me up at night. This awesome experience still left me significantly short of my skinny jean size, so I took to the treadmill. Now I'm certainly not anti-treadmill. It's been a great way to get around trudging through snow and sweating through triple digit temperatures, but it can get a little monotonous, even with a TV with which to watch all my old DVDs.

Then, quite by accident, my family created a new evening ritual. With about an hour left of sunlight, my boys and husband get out their bikes and I get out the stroller. They ride up and down and around, since I can't quite keep up with them, and we walk/ride/stroll for several miles almost every evening. Not only am I able to stick to this and put in significantly more mileage than the treadmill, but I really love the time with my family. The boys get to let off some steam, sometimes quite literally, after a hot day mostly stuck inside, but they are so fun to watch. My husband also rides back and forth between me and the boys, and we get to enjoy some time interacting, usually without a crying baby or TV present.

Now, the walk/ride/stroll combo might sound strange, but besides the fact that I don't have a decent bike that doesn't bruise my poor nether-regions, my boys could never ride far enough for me to get the same workout on wheels as I do on foot. Now, maybe this doesn't sound like fun or wouldn't logistically work for you, but don't be afraid to think outside the box and find something that does. Exercise doesn't have to be boring or monotonous or feel like a chore. In fact, the point is to make it joyful! Get out as a family or join a group or sign up for that pole dancing class you've had your eye on. Do it because it feels great, and you're body will thank you for it!
 
Fast-forward to the present:

Who did I think I was kidding? I've never really had a skinny jean size, but the baby weight is, mercifully, gone with the midnight feedings. We still do occasional family walk/ride/strolls, but my day-to-day exercise has gotten more individual, for the time being. For several months I focused on improving my yoga skills. I've recently started interval training several times a week in hopes of surviving a 5K in a few months. The specific exercise isn't really important, though different exercise will accomplish different goals. The important thing is finding something that keeps you healthy and active that you don't dread with every fiber of your being. Train for a specific goal, learn a new skill, find all the best local hiking trails, or bust a move in a Kangoo class (pictured above; presumably not for the uncoordinated). The possibilities are endless, and it all works. It doesn't have to be about being supermodel skinny or winning a marathon. It's about feeling great and experiencing the best life has to offer!

1 comment:

  1. Kangaroo Class? I have never heard of it, it looks dangerous. Glad to see you are back to doing your blog. I have been thinking about Yoga. Does thinking of it do me any good? :)

    ReplyDelete