Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Shake Down Summer

I love summer. I love milkshakes. I DON'T love adding 500+ empty calories to my thighs on a regular basis. There is a simple answer to all of this. A delicious and refreshing milkshake does not have to be ice cream based. Hear me out. All it takes is bananas, milk, and ice (with infinite variation possibilities), and I promise it's worth all it's guiltlessness!

Basic Banana Shake: I'm not much of a measurer, and this one doesn't need exact measurements at all. It's a simple concept that can be adjusted however you like it best. Start with 2-3 ripe bananas, depending how banana-y you like it. They need to be good and ripe (but not rotten) in order to have the right sweetness. If you use under-ripe bananas you'll have to add a bit of sugar, and the taste just isn't as good. With the bananas in the blender add 1-2 cups of milk, depending on the size of the blender and the thickness of shake desired, with an optional teaspoon of vanilla. Leave plenty of room to add a bunch of ice to the desired consistency. That's it! One blender full makes several servings.

Variations: If you're not a banana fan, you can experiment with all kinds of fruit. Anything goes. I just find that bananas are a good shake base because of their consistency, and it's a great way to use them up when they're just a bit too ripe to want to eat plain. I like to add to the banana base with other fruit. It's a great use for frozen strawberries or the ones in the fridge that'll be furry by tomorrow. If you crave chocolate, add a couple teaspoons of baking cocoa with a teaspoon or two of sugar, as the cocoa is usually a bit bitter. Use your imagination. There are lots of flavorings to try between the baking isle and the coffee section of the grocery store. I have mint and hazelnut that would be good in the right shake. I've even added a graham cracker, giving it a pie taste. The possibilities are endless, and you won't feel like you're stuck with diet food to enjoy nutrition and a great variety of tastes for the summer!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm. That sounds yummy! We do smoothies with frozen fruit quite a bit. Derek does it every day at least once. It's a good way to get some fruit added to the diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! And I like the milkshake because it adds fat-free dairy to my diet (assuming skim milk) as well as fruit. All kinds of tricks to satisfy nutritional needs and a sweet tooth at the same time!

    ReplyDelete